We are seeking a proven industry expert with a well-rounded and deep understanding of accounting, finance, business operations, supply chain and manufacturing of the worlds most advanced therapeutics/biologics to become our Controller. It is a very exciting time to join our fast-growing Cell and Gene Therapy Contract Development Manufacturing Organization (CDMO), especially if you are an individual who can think BOLDLY and THRIVE in an entrepreneurial setting. With the help of our Executive team, Senior Management, experienced staff, and team members we will partner with some of the most cutting-edge biotechnology companies to help develop, manufacture and commercialize the world’s next-generation therapies.
The Controller will report to the CFO and will be tasked with finance and accounting oversight of manufacturing and laboratory projects, budgets, revenue and expense, resource planning systems, business intelligence and data analytics, supply chain and logistics reporting, budget and variance analysis, revenue and expense forecasting, financial reporting, and become a key contributor to the S&OP process. The Controller will serve as the main point-of-contact for Senior Management and the finance team as a trusted and accurate source of fiscal information as we seek to execute efficient and profitable development and manufacturing of cell and gene therapy projects.
- Corporate accounting, financial analysis, budgeting/forecasting, consolidated financial month-end reporting, payroll and performance monitoring, year-end close, and business decision support activities for The Center for Breakthrough Medicines and its subsidiaries.
- Ensure compliance with internal and external regulations (incl. SOX and GAAP requirements) and maintain a robust control environment. Develop and implement global finance procedures, financial controls, process improvement initiatives, and sharing leading practices.
- Lead the compilation and analysis of monthly actuals, accruals-deferrals, forecasts, and budgets for accuracy & proper accounting treatments, ensuring full financial compliance with internal and external control requirements. The incumbent serves as a strategic partner to the business, bringing deep functional and industry accounting experience to help drive sustainable growth.
- Partner with business unit heads to develop annual budgets and monthly forecasts, margin targets, and other corporate deliverables as required for reporting cycles. This includes driving clear assumptions on price, volume, COGS, supplies and consumables, fixed and variable costs, and all other key financial drivers.
- Lead the compliance and audit initiative, provide hands-on support for the compliance teams to provide quality services to the Divisions to support effective decision making. Sets objectives for compliance team, ensuring alignment with corporate policies and procedures and communicate to all staff. Provide functional guidance for the compliance team.
- Analyze complex financial information and reports to provide accurate and timely financial recommendations to management for decision making purposes. Develop presentations to concisely communicate financial results and performance metrics.
- Define, plan and implement the financial reporting and business analytics platforms for The Center for Breakthrough Medicines including but not limited to enterprise resource planning systems, business intelligence and data analytics, LIMS, QMS, supply chain and logistics reporting, budget and variance analysis, revenue and expense forecasting, and key contributor to S&OP process.
- Operational oversight to provide services at expected levels with a clear customer focus.
- Establish frequent communication with key stakeholders to ensure integration, efficiency, and effectiveness of financial compliance across all business units.
- Other duties as assigned.
Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Deep knowledge and routine practice of corporate accounting, financial policy creation and implementation, compliance, audit, GAAP, SOX, and operations in pharma, biotech and/or cell and gene therapy.
- Successful track record of driving profitability within a matrix organization and building strong partnerships with other organizations including R&D, Manufacturing and Senior Management Team.
- Ability to develop and maintain regular financial reports with the ability to modify or create reporting process to ensure efficient operations and timely reporting
- Current with relevant financial, business, scientific and medical landscape in support of Discovery Labs strategy and profitability
- Demonstrated experience driving and fostering talent growth within finance team
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and analytical skills; demonstrated leadership abilities, and the ability to work in team environments
- Experience working with ERP systems such as SAP and Microsoft environments
- Computer Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, and Access)
- Ability to incorporate feedback and ensure decisions are made swiftly to yield flawless results
- Independent, self-starter, highly motivated
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or closely related field from an accredited college or university; advanced business or accounting degree and certifications highly preferred (MBA, CPA)
- 10-15+ years’ experience in finance and/or accounting related fields
- 5-10 years in the pharmaceutical, life science, biotech, and manufacturing industries
- 5-10 years of direct management experience leading accounting, finance, operations, manufacturing and/or supply chain teams
- Commercial and supply chain experience preferred
- Six Sigma or Lean training helpful, but not required
- Demonstrated experience with manufacturing cost accounting and/or project accounting is preferred