The Center for Breakthrough Medicines at The Discovery Labs is currently searching for a Director, Proposals to join our team full-time. This is an excellent opportunity to join a developing team with a clear path for growth. The Director, Proposals will work within the Business Development Proposals group to lead development of responses to our clients’ Requests for Proposals (RFP) and/or Requests for Information (RFI) in support of development and manufacturing programs in the cell and gene therapy space. The creation of proposals and responses to RFIs includes the gathering and coordination of input from multiple groups within CBM, such as Process Development and Technology Transfer, Analytical Development and Testing, Manufacturing, Quality, and Regulatory, and writing the response from source documentation. Work also includes leading development of costing models, process plans and statements of work. In addition, this individual will be responsible for leading change order (CO) management within the Proposals group and creation of standard proposal/CO templates/tools and a standardized proposal/CO generation process.
This position offers opportunity for growth within the Business Development organization, including involvement with and execution of marketing strategy, technical conference attendance, performance of competitive and industry analyses, and general client-facing representation for the business.
- Oversee all aspects of proposal development, initially with a focus on viral vector and plasmid modalities, including coordination cross-functionally to obtain technical, budget and schedule information, writing and/or editing proposal language and pricing models to deliver cohesive, compelling proposals to potential clients
- Perform quality check of all proposal content, to include checking for RFP compliance and adherence to proposal standards to ensure accuracy and quality of work.
- Responsible for CO management within the Proposals group, including establishing templates/tools and process development, planning/prioritizing, making assignments and providing guidance to proposal leads as well as development and review of COs
- Work with Proposal and Business Development leadership to support strategic proposal initiatives including developing/implementing updated processes and establishing tools/templates/databases to standardize development of cohesive, consistent proposals across the organization.
- Work with Proposal leadership and the finance team to evaluate financial performance of executed programs in comparison with previously scoped work to establish a continuous feedback loop to optimize pricing models.
- Lead process improvement initiatives based on lessons learned from existing projects to increase efficiency, effectiveness and success of future projects
- Contribute to team and departmental initiatives outside of day-to-day BD/proposal activities
- Bachelors Degree in a relevant scientific discipline or business related field Engineering). Candidates with non-scientific degrees will be considered with relevant experience in the Life Sciences industry.
- 8+ years combined technical and proposal writing experience in the Life Sciences Industry.
- Candidates must have experience generating proposals in the Life Sciences industry. Any experience supporting specific proposals concerning cell and gene therapies, biologics, or experience within the CDMO space is a major plus.
- Ability to comprehend and edit/incorporate information and data across multiple aspects of Cell and Gene Therapy Development and Manufacturing (process development, analytical development, technology transfer, testing, clinical and commercial manufacturing, regulatory support)
- Proficiency with Acrobat, and Microsoft Office Suite (particularly Word, Outlook, Project, and Power Point, Teams with Advanced Proficiency in Excel); and the ability to proficiently use company business system software (Salesforce).
- Broad technical knowledge in Life Sciences or biologics manufacturing and understanding of business as well as best-practice proposal development processes.
- Communication, tact, and interpersonal skills to work with all levels of staff and leadership, within and outside the department and Company; ability to work with a diverse team, including managers and peers.
- Ability to lead a team and work with minimal supervision.
- Complex reasoning and problem-solving abilities.
- Detail oriented; strong analytical and writing skills; meticulous attention to detail.