Plasmid DNA Manufacturing for Cell and Gene Therapies
Plasmid DNA manufacturing is the process of producing plasmid DNA in large quantities for use in research, diagnostics, and therapeutics. Plasmids are circular pieces of DNA that are separate from the chromosomal DNA and can replicate independently within the host cell. They are commonly used as vectors to transfer genes of interest into cells for research or therapeutic purposes.
CBM Precision Plasmids™ are the highest quality plasmids manufactured with our platform process including sequence identify confirmation via Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) and are available for a wide range of applications- R&D, Pro, and GMP grades; and at different scales – as small as milligrams up to multi-grams – to meet your program needs at every stage of development.
The plasmid manufacturing process involves several of the following steps:
• Design and construction of the plasmid: The plasmid DNA sequence is designed and synthesized using software tools and then constructed using molecular biology techniques such as polymerase chain reaction (PCR), cloning, and sequencing.
• Production of the plasmid DNA: The plasmid DNA is then produced in large quantities using bacterial fermentation or mammalian cell culture. In bacterial fermentation, the plasmid DNA is grown in large tanks of bacterial cells, which then produce and release the plasmid DNA into the culture medium.
• Purification of the plasmid DNA: The plasmid DNA is then purified using various techniques such as column chromatography, precipitation, or centrifugation to remove impurities such as proteins, RNA, and genomic DNA.
• Quality control: The purified plasmid DNA is then subjected to rigorous quality control testing to ensure that it meets the required specifications for research or therapeutic use.
• Packaging and storage: The final step in the manufacturing process is to package and store the purified plasmid DNA in appropriate containers and conditions to maintain stability and activity.
Learn more about Center for Breakthrough Medicines plasmid DNA manufacturing capabilities: https://breakthroughmedicines.com/plasmid-dna-manufacturing/